Resources for Classical Studies: Theatre History on the Web
Resources for Classical Studies
- Ancient Egypt: Pyramids
- Ancient Theatre Pictures from the GreekLandscapes.com and GNTO Collections.
- Ancient Vienne, just south of Lyon, France. Discussion of the ancient city and it's
theatre. Site hosts a virtual museum as well.
- Bulfinch's Mythology 'The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes.' This excellent site contains the texts of all the major myths, and is richly enhanced with pictures, maps, etc.
Roman ruins, including the theatre at Dougga, Tunisia. Excellent photos of both the theatre and other major buildings on the site, located an hour and a half drive south and west of Tunis.
- Diotima: Materials for the study of women and gender in the Ancient World. An absolutely superb site, maintained by the University of Kentucky Department of Classics. Beautifully organized, and with a wealth of data!
- Hellenic Culture: Hellenic Ministry of Culture. This site has many excellent links to cultural Greece, past and present. If you're taken to a portion of the site in the Greek language, you'll find a "English" button in the upper right hand corner of each page.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture: Index to Archaeological Sites. An excellent and extensive resource.
- Justin's Drama and Theatre Links. Has some good links to Classical Greek resources.
- Masks of Greece and Rome
- Mythology in Western Art. University of Haifa. A very robust collection of world art, depicting mythological figures and events. New section on Troy. [Gone missing from the WWW as of 11/01/05]
- On-line Classics archive of nearly 400 Greek and Roman texts in translation, at M.I.T.. Completely searchable.
- Pergamon 3D Computer projections of the Acropolis. This study by David Schulz at the University of Washington, about 1990, was an early attempt to make use of the computer and 3D CADD in the analysis of a complex archaeological site.
- The Perseus Project An extraordinary resource for Classical materials, textual and iconographic.
The Pompeii Project, University of Virginia. Excellent introduction to the archaeology of the site. Excellent detailed photographs of the site.
- THEATRON-Theatre History in Europe, Theatron Ltd. "Theatron Limited is a small, dynamic company specialising in the field of virtual
reality and multimedia for cultural heritage clients." Owing to recent lack of financial support, this excellent site has gone off line. This is a real loss to those in the scholarly community interested in the support of teaching and research through the use of technology. [JRW, 3/10/15]
- Theatre Tours, virtual reality tours of ancient theatre sites in Turky, Greece, Italy, France and Spain. The work, now several years in progress, of Dr. Thomas Hines, Whitman College, WA.
©Jack Wolcott 2016