A Selected Bibliography of the Masque
- A Book of masques; in honour of Allardyce Nicoll. London, Cambridge U. P., 1967. Phy Descript: xv, 448 p. front., 48 plates. 23 cm. Notes: Includes bibliographical references.
- The vision of the twelve goddesses, by S. Daniel,
edited by J. Rees.
- Oberon, the fairy prince, by B. Jonson,
edited by R. Hosley.
- Love freed from ignorance and folly,
by B. Jonson, edited by N. Sanders.
- The lord's masque, by
T. Campion, edited by I. A. Shapiro.
- The masque of the Inner Temple and Gray's Inn, by F. Beaumont, edited by P
- The masque of flowers, edited by E. A. J
- The masque of the Inner Temple (Ulysses and Circe) by W. Browne, edited by R. F. Hill.
- Lovers made men, by B. Jonson, edited by S. Wells.
- Pleasure reconciled to virtue, by B. Jonson, edited by R. A. Foakes.
- The Inner Temple masque, or Masque of Heroes, by T. Middleton, edited
by R. C. Bald.
- The triumph of peace, by J. Shirley, edited
by C. Leech.
- The spring's glory, by T. Nabbes, edited by
J. R. Brown.
- Salmacida Spolia, by I. Jones and W
Davenant, edited by T. J. B. Spencer.
- Cupid and death, by
J. Shirley, edited by B. A. Harris.
- "These pretty
devices": a study of masques in plays, by Inga-Stina Ewbank.
- Bergeron, David Moore. Twentieth-century criticism of English masques, pageants, and
entertainments: 1558-1642. With a
supplement on the folk-play and related forms, by Harry B
Caldwell. San Antonio, Tex., Trinity University Press [c1972].
- Cornelia, Marie. The function of the masque in Jacobean tragedy and tragicomedy
Salzburg : Institut fur Englische Sprache und Literatur, Universitat Salzburg, 1978.
- Cunningham, Peter, 1816-1869. Inigo Jones. A life of the architect.
- Remarks on some of his sketches for masques and dramas; by J. R. Planche, esq.
- Five court masques; ed from the original mss. of Ben Jonson, John Marston, etc., by J. Payne Collier, esq.,
accompanied by facsimiles of drawings by Inigo Jones; and by a portrait from a painting by Vandyck. London, Printed for the Shakespeare society, 1848.
- Notes: Shakespeare society. Publications. no. 39.
The five court masques include:
- The Mask of Queens, and The
Twelfth Night's Revels, by Ben Jonson;
- The Mountebank's Mask, by John Marston;
- The Mask of the Twelve Months;
- The Mask of the Four Seasons.
- Evans, Herbert Arthur, 1846. English masques; with an introduction by Herbert Arthur Evans. London, Glasgow [etc.] Blackie & son, limited, 1897.
Notes: The Warwick library.
- Introduction: List of extant masques.
- Samuel Daniel's Vision of the twelve goddesses
- Ben Jonson:
- Masque at Lord Haddington's marriage.
- Masque of queens.
- Golden age restored
- Lovers made men.
- News from the new world discovered in the moon.
- Masque of augurs.
- Pan's anniversary, or The sheperd's holy day.
- Neptune's triumph for the return of Albion
- Fortunate isles, and their union.
- Thomas Campion: Lords' masque.
- Francis Beaumont [Masque o]f the Inner-Temple and Gray's Inn.
- Anonymous: The masque of flowers.
- James Shirley: Triumph of peace.
- Sir William Davenant [and Inigo Jones]: Salmacida spolia.
- Greg, W. W. (Walter Wilson), 1875-1959. A list of masques, pageants, &c. supplementary to a List of
English plays. London, Printed for the Bibliographical Society, by Blades, East & Blades, 1902.
Notes: [Bibliographical Society, London. Publications]. Supplement to his "List of English plays written before
1643", issued in 1900.
- List of masques, pageants, &c.
- Index of
- Index of titles.
- Essay introductory.
- Appendix I.
- Appendix II. The early play lists.
- A list of English plays (Addenda & corrigenda).
- Jacob, P. L., 1806-1884. Ballets et mascarades de cour de Henri III a Louis XIV 1581-1652/ recueillis et publies, d'apres les editions originales par Paul Lacroix. Geneve : Slatkine Reprints, 1968.
Phy Descript: 6 v. ; 23 cm. v.1-6. Notes: Reprint of the 1868-1870 ed., Geneva.
- Jacobean and Caroline entertainments, 1605-1640. Edited with an introduction by David Lindley ; general editor,Michael Cordner ; associate general editors, Peter Holland, Martin Wiggins.
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Jacobean and Caroline masques edited by Richard Dutton. Nottingham : Nottingham Drama Texts, c1981.
- Jones, Inigo, 1573-1652. Designs by Inigo Jones for masques & plays at court; a
descriptive catalogue of drawings for scenery and costumes
mainly in the collection of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire,
K.G., with introd. and notes by Percy Simpson & C.F. Bell.
Pub. Info.: New York, Russell & Russell, 1966.
- Nicoll, Allardyce. Stuart masques and the Renaissance stage New York : Arno Press, 1980, c. 1938 (reprinted). (First published 1938 by Harrap, London.)
- Orgel, Stephen and Roy Strong, Inigo Jones: The Theatre of the Stuart Court. University of California Press, 1973
- Orgel, Stephen. The Illusion of Power : Political Theater in the English Renaissance Stephen Orgel. Berkeley : University of California Press, . Phy Descript: x, 95 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
Notes: A Quantum book.
- Orgel, Stephen. The Jonsonian masque. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1965.
Phy Descript: viii, 216 p. illus. 22 cm. Notes: An outgrowth of the author's thesis, Harvard University. Bibliographical references included in "Notes" (p -211).
- Sadler, Anthony, b. 1610. The subjects joy for the Kings restoration, cheerfully made known in a sacred masque [microform] : gratefully made publique for His Sacred Majesty / by the author of Inqvisitio Anglicana.
London : Printed for James Davis ..., 1660.
Notes: "Epistle dedicatory" and "To the candid reader" signed: Anthony Sadler. Caption title: A divine masque. (Reproduction of original in Huntington Library.) References: Wing S273.
Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms, 1974. 1 microfilm reel. 35 mm. (Early English books, 1641-1700; 509:41).
- Shaw, Catherine M. "Some vanity of mine art" : the masque in English renaissance drama. Salzburg, Austria : Institut fur Anglistik und Amerikanistik, Universitat Salzburg, 1979.
- Sibley, Gertrude Marian. The lost plays and masques, 1500-1642. Ithaca, N.Y., Cornell University Press; London, H. Milford, Oxford University Press, 1933.
- Southern, Richard, Changeable Scenery. Faber and Faber Limited, 1952.
- Sutherland, Sarah P. Masques in Jacobean tragedy. New York : AMS Press, c1983.
- Steele, Mary Susan. Plays & masques at court during the reigns of Elizabeth, James
and Charles. New Haven, Yale University Press; London, H. Milford, Oxford University Press, 1926.
- Welsford, Enid. The court masque; a study in the relationship between poetry & the revels. New York, Russell & Russell, 1962 .
- Wilson, Jean. Entertainments for Elizabeth I. Woodbridge [Eng.] : D.S. Brewer ; Totowa, N.J. : Rowman & Littlefield, 1980.
©Jack Wolcott 1998 - 2001